This is #2 in my latest series on my favorite Blues-Busting, Body-Pumping recipes that serve either of the following dual purposes:
- Blues-Buster Pre-Workout
- Blues-Buster Post-Workout
- Blues-Buster to Kickstart Your Day
You can find my first recipe here (a wrap), and the post on perinatal mood disorders that inspired me to share these in the first place here. For this one, it’s one of my 3 go-to breakfasts.
What you’ll need:
- 1/3 cup raspberries (fiber for digestion; manganese for calcium absorption, hormone regulation, and connective tissue health; and vitamin c for an immune system boost)
- 2 or 3 whole strawberries depending on their size (folic acid for stress and anxiety, potassium for stress and anxiety and electrolytic functions, and manganese)
- 1 medium sized banana (potassium,B-vitamins for stress, anxiety, and iron absorption; carbs/sugars for a kickstart of energy; and tryptophan which the body converts into serotonin – the mood-lifter)
- 2 dried prunes (Vitamin A for eyesight, potassium, and fiber)
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or nut butter of choice (Vitamin E for hormone balance and cholesterol balance; potassium, Vitamin B6)
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk (calcium for bone health; protein for muscle strength and healing; iron for hemoglobin formation and muscle health)
- 2 teaspoons of flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- [Optional] 1/4 cup of whole rolled oats *if doing this, add another 1/4 cup of water so it isn’t too thick (Manganese, iron, folate, fiber)
What you’ll do:
- Dump everything into your blender, blitz til smooth, pour into a glass, and enjoy!
Do note that this shake is meant to be a meal, not a snack. I would discourage anyone from seeing this type of meal as a “diet” food because it’s actually very nutrient dense and high in calories. However, if you are a highly active individual or you are breastfeeding, you can add on a little more of any of the ingredients to raise the calories to a desired level. Or, sometimes I supplement with a slice of cheese or handful of cashews if I get hungry before lunch.